July 24, 2009

Anthropologie: 101


I lasted in my first year Anthropology course for a total of one week before switching to a much more contemporary study of culture (which I then spent six years of education over-analyzing). My relationship with the similarly named retail outlet however has proven to be a much more long-term commitment. And when Anthropologie finally opened its doors in Canada in April I was thrilled at the arrival of this retail gem this side of the border. The only problem? The highly anticipated store opened at Shops at Don Mills ... a so-called 'outdoor lifestyle centre' (ie: stripmall) that is so far North it might as well be cottage country. However, much to my delight, the retailer opened a downtown location last week at 80 Yorkville Ave.

The new Yorkville store offers two floors of girlie clothing and accessories and shabby-chic inspired home decor. The store feels like a grown-up Urban Outfitters (which seems about right since it is owned by Urban Outfitters Inc) where the graphic tees and toy cameras have been replaced with feminine work appropriate blouses and vintage inspired home accessories and gardening tools.

Now that Anthropologie is much more accessible for downtown dwellers i'll definitely be enrolling for the Fall fashion season. My favourite find? Their collection of handsome menswear inspired shoes that are perfect for the office (if i ever manage to find a real job) or sunday brunch (a much more realistic activity for me to particpate in).

1 comment:

  1. of course Anthropologie comes to Yorkville when I move across the world. god damn.

    ReplyDelete