March 8, 2010

curious pages

Looking for books about teddy bears or rainbows or feelings? You’re at the wrong place. Here we celebrate the offbeat, the abstract, the unusual, the surreal, the macabre, the inappropriate, the subversive and the funky.

I pretty much love every post over at We Love You So - especially their post about Curious Pages, a hilarious blog devoted to peculiar children's books. When I was young, my parents religiously read to me, but stuck to more conventional material - the Merchant family favourites were The Berenstain Bears, Madeline, Each Peach Pear Plum, Goodnight Moon, and, of course, Love You Forever. For someone who teaches her fair share of children's books, I could certainly add some inappropriate tales to Curious Pages' list - Chunk the Chick (a story about a lonely chicken who is too 'chunky' to have any friends), and The Sad Clown Brigade (two clowns quit their circus jobs, become janitors at a hospital, build a rapport with a sick kid, giving him the best day of his life after which he promptly dies). Anyway, I digress. Curious Pages is a treat, serving up equal hits of nostalgia and joy. Check it out.

1 comment:

  1. 'Aint' is so funny - I can remember getting lectured about not using this word...a picture book might have been very helpful

    ReplyDelete