March 19, 2010

the science of sleep

Rolande Tapiau d’Aunoy lives in an apartment in the 7th arrondissement of Paris. Every room is devoted to entertaining guests. The Louis XV bishop’s-crook bed looks like a sofa. James Ivory directed Leslie Caron in a scene from Le Divorce here. Rolande does not sleep in the same bed as her husband, saying that the cypress and the reed can flourish only if there is space between them.

Nathalie Wolberg, architect. Saint-Ouen. She enjoys clearing her mind when she comes home, so each room serves a specific purpose. The hanging bed is for resting, blanking out and forgetting. Feeling as though she were levitating fulfills Nathalie’s need to connect with the cosmos.

To make her daughter happy, Nilaya’s mother gave her this caravan to travel around Italy.

Alain Passard, chef. Fillié-sur-Sarthe. A cage-bed painted with anti-rust primer does the trick when he wants to stimulate his mind. When night falls and silence is all around, Alain reflects upon his day and plans his future in the middle of his kitchen garden. Whether standing up or lying down, to him the garden is a healthy place, a haven where creativity and feelings freely flow. Naturally the bed must be in the center.

Sebastien Rinckel, architect. Aubervilliers. The bed, a human-sized cocoon that he built and attached to the front of his house, is reached from the living room and called "Alcove".

Thierry Bouet
(found here)

I don't really have any peculiar sleeping habits, other than I like to sleep on the left side. I think that my ideal bed would be a feather nest, something I used to try and emulate when I was a little girl with a few duvets and strategically placed pillows. A caravan would have been nice, too.

As for today, it's a rainy Saturday in Korea and I've woken up far too early - the perfect kind of day to tuck back into bed and hide away for at least a few more hours. I only wish I had any one of the above sleeping spaces to nestle back in to.

4 comments:

  1. The Golden Rules of sleep.Most people are sleep deprived,follow these tips! 1-get 8 hours of uninterupted sleep every night. 2-go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time every day.3-avoid caffiene after 2pm. 3-Avoid alcholic beverages for 3 hours before bedtime. 4-Get regular exercise. 5-Create a good bedroom environment,quiet dark & cool.GRM

    ReplyDelete
  2. My room is so small that I have to have a single bed -- I find it a little depressing. I like my beds as big as possible, the better to sleep like a starfish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love them!
    My bed is covered in white bedding with a puffy feather duvet and random white pillows, inspired by Diana of Jewels of New York who said "My bed is a soft white because I want to feel like I’m waking up on a cloud every morning."

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dad. thank you for the tips!

    Michelle - starfish sleeping is best - I agree, small beds are depressing. One think I'm looking forward to about about moving back to Canada (eventually) is getting a larger, softer bed (my bed in Korea is impossibly hard).

    Lou - your bed sounds like a dream. Duvets are so necessary.

    ReplyDelete