March 11, 2010

hang me up to dry

1. the guardian 2-4. my photos

When I think of Shanghai, I think of lush, green grass (there's no grass in Korea - at least where I live), fireworks/campari on The Bund, and hanging laundry. Lots of hanging laundry. En route from the airport to our hotel I remember being shocked by the number of high rises that were basically ensconced with curtains of hanging linens. Throughout the rest of the trip, the weather was rather uncooperative, which I think curtailed the outdoor drying - but on sunnier/drier days, I can imagine the city looking a little more like this. I love it.

3 comments:

  1. beautiful! I agree, not enough grass in urban Korea, but plenty of mountains that make up for it with stunning views. Have you had the chance to visit any yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drying laundry is such a chore I will always remember while in Scotland your Scottish grandmother carrying her basket of washed laundry from the washhouse at the back of he tenement,up three flights of stairs to hang the clothes up out the window on a clothes line. By the way she had scrubbed the clothes by hand.GRM

    ReplyDelete