August 22, 2009

hester's got a brand new A

After putting Lindsay Lohan on their cover one too many times, I thought I had sworn off my once favourite magazine, Nylon, for good. As a rapidly approaching 25-year-old, I felt that I was getting too old to be buying a magazine that asserted LiLo as a 'pin-up for a new era'.
However, desperate for some glossy fashion goodness, I asked Carlos to pick me up some magazines at the airport on his way to Soko - Nylon and Vogue India (which is phenom, by the way) are what I got. Flipping through Nylon's Denim Issue, I almost put the magazine down as I passed Betsey Johnson's how-to guide for hot pink lace up skinnies, a page devoted to over-the-knee DENIM boots, and a Peaches Geldof dress-up segment. Now I love ugly hipster trends as much as the next person, but seeing Peaches in an acid wash jumper almost had me reaching for the Vogue (and scratching out my eyeballs). But then, I saw these:



Thank you, Nylon, for bringing to my attention the couture covers for these three absolutely classic classics. Renowned Cuban artist Ruben Toledo, whose work has appeared in The New Yorker, Harper's Bazaar, and Vogue, was asked by Penguin Classics to bring his vision to three of the strongest female characters in the history of literature: Hester Prynne, Catherine Earnshaw, and Elizabeth Bennett. And what a fine job he did! Better yet, the couture editions will be published to coincide with New York Fashion week this September.
As I am an absolute sucker for updated covers of classic books (I impulsively charged a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird just because the cover looked like this, during a recession, when I already owned one perfectly good edition), I have, obviously, pre-ordered my copies on Amazon. Even though the titles already have a place on my shelf, I figure a little couture can't hurt - these ladies have been around for a long time - they deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment