February 24, 2010

watch things on VCRs

I used to have stacks of VHS tapes, on which I recorded countless episodes of Friends, select episodes of Felicity, Dawson's Creek, and Buffy, music videos (mostly Backstreet Boys), and lots and lots of movies. It was always a chore to go through and find the clips I wanted as I never properly labeled any of the tapes. Although, looking back, that was part of the fun. My collection was heaped into a cabinet and I often used to sit, sort, and deliberate over which one to watch. I'd pop the chosen tape into the VCR and see what surprises it had in store for me. I feel nostalgic just thinking about the whole procedure. This bittersweet feeling is why I really like Hollis Brown Thornton's work (which I first saw here, and then again over here). These drawings (!) and paintings (!!!) of VHS tapes remind me very much of my childhood and the hours I spent watching things on VCRs.


1 comment: