May 25, 2010

around the house

Katie and I are both daughters of women who are passionate about their gardens. Ever since I can remember my mother's garden (no matter how small) has been a colourful petaled wonderland. Beyond the foliage there are carefully placed sculptures, gems, mirrors, lights and even a homemade pond full of frisky fish. Even inside every inch of spare counterspace is home to a vase full of freshly cut flowers.

Anyways, soon I'll say goodbye to all of these lovely indoor and outdoor botanicals (along with all of the chipmunks, the pool and the fridge full of groceries) and relocate to a jungle of the concrete variety. City-life certainly can't beat the landscaping and wildlife found out in the suburbs, but my downtown relocation hasn't stopped me from fantasizing about my new urban garden. I'm thinking wicker patio chairs, a bistro table, a piece of reclaimed fence from my mother's backyard and plenty of pots overflowing with hydrangeas and peonies. Maybe even a lavender wreath. The possibilities are endless - or at least as big as my petite little balcony. I'm hoping to recreate something like this, in condo size of course. But for now I'm enjoying the backyard in bloom and the smog free air for a little while longer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm seeing a big chunky glass vase of white peonies and lilacs on your new urban island - Along with some ipod speakers. Can't wait to put together your colours - lets go buy paint!

    ReplyDelete