May 15, 2010

pajubookcity



This morning I ventured to Paju Book City, an innovative publishing community/living architecture museum nestled on reedy wetlands about 30 minutes north of Seoul. According to my city guide, Book City adheres to very strict architectural guidelines, meaning that all of the buildings rely on materials - plywood, polycarbonate, copper, and glass - that reflect the contours and colours of the surrounding countryside, allowing the whole development to blend in with its environment. My friend Hyun described it best, saying that it reminded her of a Lego town. I agree - an extremely beautiful, harmonious Lego town... with very photogenic rust.

4 comments:

  1. Hi!I found your blog through How's your weekend blog! I just came back from a trip to Seoul & love all the pictures you posted there.

    I so envy that you went to Paju Book City! I made it to Heyri Art valley but it was Monday when most of the art galleries were closed *bump*

    btw. Do you live in Seoul?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - ahhhh, that's the problem with Korean galleries/stores - everything is closed on Monday (but open Sunday, which I like).


    Yes! I've lived here for the past ten months, and love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...I'm so envy. I've been to Seoul twice but still feels that there's lots to see! I wanna go back there again sometime...

    I'll be following your blog from now on :)

    ReplyDelete