December 12, 2009

library love

Handelingenkamer Tweede Kamer Der Staten-Generaal Den Haag, the Hague, Netherlands

Bibliotecha de la Real Academia De La Lengua, Madrid, Spain

Real Gabinete Portugues De Leitura Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Some of my fondest memories from undergrad involve Jessica, early morning pilgrimages to Second Cup to pilfer a cinnamon bun (or two), and days spent on the old second floor in McMaster's Mills Library (before it turned into the dreaded, computer-filled Learning Commons). I've always loved everything about libraries (including their often-musty perfume), and still think that becoming a librarian would be a wonderful career. Curious Expeditions has a beautiful post called "Librophiliac Love Letter: A Compendium of Beautiful Libraries" which has made me want to travel the world merely to explore all of these gorgeous buildings (and has inspired me to seek out libraries in Korea). They also recommend a lovely book, The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World, which I wouldn't mind having on my bookshelf.

2 comments:

  1. when I was a child I spent a lot of my time in Scottish libraries because books were unaffordable.I read everything I could find and often had to be kicked out at closing time at Dundee Public Library.I think this is why you are such a bookish person Katie I passed it all on to you.GRM

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait a minute--your great grandmother, your grandmother and your mother all had the pleasure of working in libraries. I worked there during my high school years. Certainly the libraries were not as grand as though posted on your blog but excitment was still created on the arrival of new books with their crisp jackets and the discovery of a new author.

    My librarian that I worked with escaped Latvia leaving behind her wealth and personal library to come to Canada. She could never bring herself to own any books again as it evoked all that she left behind so working in a library was the next best thing. She was an extraordinary woman.

    ReplyDelete