January 6, 2010

thailand

bits of my trip

My recent trip to Thailand was a wonderful experience - I especially enjoyed Bangkok and have discovered that I'll take a big, dirty city over a pristine beach any day. Although I didn't visit any temples, I definitely feel like I've experienced one of Asia's most vibrant, messy cities in the best way possible (thanks, of course, to my trusty city guide). For those who plan to visit Bangkok, here are my favourite places:
  • Arrive on the weekend and visit the Chatuchak Market. Take the sky train, indulge in some delicious street food, and barter away for some kitschy souvenirs (like the above sailor painting, which now resides in my living room.) After you're all shopped out, head a bit further north to snap some pictures of the playful Elephant Building.
  • Forget the cheap (and ghastly) hotels near the airport if landing late at night - the city center isn't far, so head right to Nai Lert Park, a most enjoyable hotel located in the business district (beside the Swiss and British Embassies) of Bangkok. The service here is outstanding, the lobby/rooms are incredibly calming, and the pool/gardens provide a much needed refuge from the hustle and smog of the city.
  • Visit 70s bar (Thanon Sarasin) for a night out filled with dancing amongst Bangkok's hippest gay demographic. The DJ played the best songs (including lots of K-Pop, Kylie Minogue, and of course, the YMCA), and the popcorn machine outside provided some necessary snacks. Get there early though - the place gets packed before midnight.
  • Go on a boat tour - take a cab to the luxurious Peninsula Hotel (in Old Town), and grab a long boat up the river. The trip will cost about 1,600 baht for 2 hours, but it's certainly worth it. You can see the local houses on stilts, the perimeters of beautiful temples, and some adorable Thai children playing in the water (you can also visit a snake farm, an attraction I chose to avoid).
  • Shop in the neon-lit lanes of Siam Square. I found some amazing vintage clothing here and a beautiful handmade purse (sadly I don't remember the name of the store - but the owner visited Korea regularly to pick up products - not surprising).
  • Get a traditional thai massage at Ruen Nuad (photo with the colourful counter tops) near the Sukothai Hotel. Go for the 1.5 hour massage, full of some good-old-fashioned kneading.
  • Eat at Spring/Summer in the evening. Make a reservation and dine outside on the large cushions. The atmosphere here was beyond incredible - they were playing gorgeous covers of some of my favourite songs and the food was a gastronomic heaven. Order the Japanese inspired fried rice with seared tuna and avocado.
  • If you like Italian, head to La Scala at Sukothai Hotel. The pizzas and pastas here were some of the best I've ever tried and the service was unbeatable. My mother always says you can tell a good restaurant by the bread basket, and this one was both inventive and tasty. To top the meal off they brought out a complimentary dessert sampling. The meal was pricey, but you knew what you were paying for - and it was well worth it.
As for the rest of the trip - we ignorantly headed to Phuket for a very brief stay (which was fairly horrible), and then moved on to the Phi Phi Islands, where we soaked up some sun and took some gratuitous pictures at The Beach. Ultimately, I hope to head back to Thailand someday to visit the northern area - and to return to Bangkok, which I loved.

2 comments:

  1. Katie, you cover so much I'm certain future visiters will benefit from your adventures and misadventures, I love the way you describe everything.GRM

    ReplyDelete