November 19, 2009

Like an egyptian

Having never been the type to get too excited over ancient artifacts (I generally prefer paintings to pots and porcelain) I'm not really that jazzed about the upcoming King Tut exhibit at the AGO. And I am certainly not as eager as the entertainment editors over at the Toronto Star who have been painfully stretching their week-long Tut coverage to include recipes for Egyptian cuisine and today's feature on Sodom nightclub's (yes that's right) upcoming dance party featuring a nearly nude male model in pharo-like body paint. But I can't help but think that the photo above is kind of cool. The larger-than-life and then some Pharo statue (or wait..is it a rabbit?) is currently looming large over Dundas St. in order to promote the much-hyped exhibit that will be opening in the city in just a few days. And since I'm kind of important now (ahem...okay not at all) I will be tagging along to the media preview event at the gallery tomorrow morning. I assume I'll get a glimpse of some of Tut's treasures, including what I'm sure will be some pretty sweet gladiator sandals, and hopefully some complimentary finger foods. I guess it's time to make like The Bangles and Walk Like an Egyptian.

Side note: I just noticed that the 'hot topics' toolbar on the Toronto Star's website includes breaking news categories like H1N1, Maple Leafs and Vampires?! I'm so glad I subscribe to a newspaper with my kind of priorities.

4 comments:

  1. The statue is Anubis

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course! the jackal-headed god from Egyptian mythology (ummm, thanks wikipedia)

    ReplyDelete
  3. another example of major galleries shift towards being amusement parks...

    i love the star though,

    -carlos

    ReplyDelete
  4. For anyone who's interested - not only were there pyramid shaped scones and Camel gingerbread cookies, but there was also an introductory dance number in which the performers were "Tutting" - ie: crumping Egyptian styles.

    ReplyDelete