November 4, 2009

Quelle heure est-il?





My favourite place for clock watching has to be Le Musee d'Orsay in Paris (of course). This train station turned art gallery has clocks aplenty, including an ornate gold plated clock hanging above the great hall and a picturesque clock window (photo above) overlooking the beautiful city below.

On more than one occasion I've found myself pressing my nose up against the windows at my local pawn shops (there are lots) and peering in at the charming antique pocket watches. These traditional accessories, once reserved for the likes of grandfathers in cardigans and a very time-conscious white rabbit, always seem to evoke a romantic ideal of simpler (non digital) times. And much like my penchant for antique keys I have a thing about old-fashioned timepieces. I will often scour neighbourhood antique stores (and okay, occasionally Home Sense) for rustic looking clocks to adorn my walls. These days I am seriously lusting for a vintage time piece to hang around my neck. While I gave up wearing my Fossil watch a while ago (thanks to my insatiable appetite for Tiffany silver I've got far much hardware to bear on my wrists these days) I think a hypnotic little pendant would be a lovely (not to mention useful) accessory. Now I just to keep my eye out for the perfect piece that's not too flava flav.

1 comment:

  1. a key and a clock...hmmmm you could start a whole necklace line of utilitarian things turned into pretty jewelery....

    perhaps next it could be a toothbrush or hmmm a shoe???

    ReplyDelete