November 1, 2009

winona ryder

Winona Ryder is sort of amazing: she's a total 90s indie movie starlet, not to mention an inspiration to pale girls everywhere (shoplifting incident aside). I made Carlos watch Heathers a few weeks ago, which reminded me how spunky and quirky she really is (and that Veronica Sawyer is my favourite Winona character, bar none: "Heather, my love, there's a new sheriff in town"). Her earlier roles are also quite delightful: Jo March in Little Women, Charlotte Flax in Mermaids, Lelaina Pierce in Reality Bites, Lydia Deetz in Beetlejuice, and a very blonde Kim in Edward Scissorhands. I like this piece in Interview Magazine where Winona talks about The Wire, Heathers, and how Holden Caulfield was her best friend:

MOOALLEM: The Catcher in the Rye comes up a lot in your old interviews. Are you still a big fan?

RYDER: I was and still am. It’s weird because when you first read that book, it’s so personal and you feel like you’re the only one who feels that way, and then you realize that everyone has had that experience with it. But Holden Caulfield was like my best friend when I was a teenager. Salinger is someone whose work I just love so much, and I totally respect how protective he has been about his privacy. My dad saved every New Yorker that J.D. Salinger ever had a story in. Actually, one thing happened . . . I’ve never actually told anyone this, but when I was 19, some, um, [pauses] my boyfriend at the time bought me at an auction a Christmas card that Salinger wrote someone in the ’50s. It was literally just like, “Merry Christmas!” But Salinger’s signature was on it. I kept the card for a few years but I felt so guilty, like he wouldn’t want me to have this, so one day I decided I was going to send it back to him. I wrote this letter, and I tried not to gush, but I was like, “Dear Mr. Salinger. I received this as a gift because I’m a big fan, but I want to return it to you because I respect your privacy.” And then, sometime later, I got a thank-you letter.

Also mentioned was the potential of turning Heathers into a TV series or a musical - how very.

"Dear Diary, my teen-angst bullshit now has a body count."

2 comments:

  1. Heathers is AMAZING and I have no idea how they plan on bringing such a fantastically dark film to TV

    ReplyDelete
  2. hopefully they do not - i feel like it would be a disaster.

    ReplyDelete