November 17, 2009

who said there's no such thing as a free lunch?


For those of you who assume that the world of unpaid editorial internships isn't all that glamorous, well you're right, for the most part. However this morning I experienced what may turn out to be one of the highlights of my professional career. Katie and I both are avid (if not slightly amateur) food photographers (obviously) and today I managed to parlay my love of snack snapshots into an actual work assignment. The intersection of King and Bay is not only home to one of my favourite Starbucks in the city (cozy leather armchairs and attractive suit types included) but also a popular little bakery backed by the Marc Thuet culinary empire (anyone who enjoys TO based reality show Conviction Kitchen knows what I'm talking about). The aptly named Petite Thuet provides gourmet sandwiches of all sorts to the financial district corporate types who can afford the hefty price tag. Anyways, this morning I had a date with head chef Peter to snap some shots of one of their bestsellers - Organic Turkey and Brie on fresh baked baguette - for an upcoming dining feature in the January issue of Where Toronto. After vogue-ing with the lunch meat for roughly 20 minutes, I walked away with 100 images and, you guessed it, a free lunch. My new pal Peter also threw in some complimentary pastel coloured marshmallow cubes for the folk back at the office - although I'm considering hording them for myself.

3 comments:

  1. I'm very pleased to hear that you got free food out of this morning's assignment!! :) Your photography skills really catch the inner soul of that turkey sandwich!

    Ps. that starbucks is also one of my favourites...aside from the one that I am currently in (at Yonge and Cumberland...happening spot for MTV star watching! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't had a turkey sandwich since coming here - i'm dying for one.

    ReplyDelete