November 27, 2009

drawing a connection

Tuesday, October 6, 2009
-m4w (L train to Manhattan)
You were reading Catch-22 on the subway this morning. I have never seen such a beautiful profile. I wanted to say hi, but then you’d turn towards me and I wouldn’t be able to look at your profile anymore. You were so into your book, I don’t think you noticed me falling in love with you. But I thought I’d ask, just in case.


Saturday, October 17, 2009
- m4w
We shared a bear suit at an apartment party on Saturday night.
I asked for your number and you gave it to me, but somehow I don't have an area code written down. I had a great time talking with you, and I don't trust Chance enough to wait until I see you in the elevators...

My friend Erin sent me a link to a lovely blog today - its full of whimsical drawings by Brooklyn artist Sophie Blackwell, which illustrate some of Craigslist's finer Missed Connections. I really like how Sophie describes her work: Messages in bottles, smoke signals, letters written in the sand; the modern equivalents are the funny, sad, beautiful, hopeful, hopeless, poetic posts on Missed Connections websites. Every day hundreds of strangers reach out to other strangers on the strength of a glance, a smile or a blue hat. Their messages have the lifespan of a butterfly. I'm trying to pin a few of them down." Oh, how I just love this.

3 comments:

  1. you're right - the bear suit one is my favourite too! don't you secretly hope to find a missed connections about you? xo.

    ReplyDelete