October 27, 2009

McSweeney's Internet Tendency: Reviews of New Food


I've been frequenting the McSweeney's website for the past couple of years - the site is fairly text heavy (and a bit tiresome to navigate), but the text itself often provides some hilarious reading material ("It's decorative gourd season, motherf*@ckers") for days when procrastination is the business. One section I find quite entertaining (as I love reading/writing/thinking about food) is McSweeney's Reviews of New Food. This delightful little chunk of their website is filled with an abundance of bite-sized reader-submitted reviews, ranging from cilantro, to Hershey's Pumpkin Spice Kisses, to low-carb doritos, and so forth. I particularly like the one about Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges, as they are Korea's answer to my real cheese cravings (and I know Jessica, too, likes to always have some on hand in her fridge).

On a side: Although this really deserves a post of its own, The McSweeney's Store is having a sale (a cornucopia of cheap books, as they put it) and issues of McSweeney's Quarterly Concern are about 5 bucks each - far better from the full price I willingly paid for the issues on my shelf. These literary journals are comprised of quirky, endearing, and just down-right beautifully written short stories (Miranda July and Joyce Carol Oates are contributors) that are bound up in quite imaginative ways. Each book's design and editorial content differs from its predecessors and are certainly worth this generous sale price. I particularly like Issue 20. Dave Eggers, you rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment