October 20, 2009

Toronto Fashion Week

Thrown on your bunny ears and studded Louboutins 'cuz it's fashion week in the city. All week long Toronto, in its ongoing bid to try and be even half as cool as NYC, will be playing host to a bevy of well-know (and..lets face it, a lot of not so well-known) Canadian designers showcasing their Spring 2010 collections. And while our little not so notorious fashion week comes on the very intimidating heels of some pretty high profile shows (London, Paris etc) us fashion starved Torontonians will take what we can get.

And what are we getting exactly? While there are some labels you might recognize strutting down the runway this week (Joe Fresh and Pink Tartan to name a couple) and plenty of Project Runway Canada winners and runners up – there are also some fresh faces on the local fashion scene that are worth getting a little excited about. My personal fave is recent Ryerson fashion school grad Monica Mei’s label AIME. Obviously anything remotely pretty and French sounding gets my attention and Mei’s flirty designs are no exception. Her fall collection from last year, entitled Paris Je T’AIME of course, was full of edgy yet girly black and white pieces and even featured Petit Beret’s in a couple cameo appearances.

Her Spring 2010 collection hits the King West runway tents this Thursday and while I did manage to score an invite (one of the perks of being at the bottom of the media totem pole) I don’t think I can attend as it on during the middle of the workday. Sigh.


I would have loved to catch a glimpse of her “Escape to the Mediterranean” springtime designs. I guess I’ll have to wait and read about it when uber hip Toronto journo/blogger SNP covers it for Eye Weekly.

On that note I will be giving my own commentary (kind of) on Toronto Fashion Week for Where Toronto all week long. Check back here daily for updates on all the shows and exclusive events that none of us are invited to.

1 comment: