October 6, 2009

the velveteen outfit

One of my favourite childhood memories is picking out holiday party dresses. I remember a particularly lovely Thanksgiving dress that had a full skirt (hurray for crinolines!) and a forest green velvet top, complete with lace collar. I haven't worn velvet since (save for a very questionable crushed velvet zip-up in my less than fashionable highschool years). However, these pieces from the Chloé Fall 2009 RTW collection are making me feel quite nostalgic for the days of velvet party dresses (and wishing that I had a pair of velvety, billowy pants to put on for this coming Thanksgiving).

2 comments:

  1. Horray for the "holiday party dress" tradition. its the making of many a young fashionista not to mention adorable childhood photos. There's a certain something about velvet in fall / winter wear - so elegantly comfortable.
    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking of enacting a velvet renaissance in my own wardrobe...avoiding the 'crushed' variety of course. I too had an unfortunate high school love affair with some sort of pastel coloured crushed velvet baby tee. yikes.

    aritzia has a beautiful silk shirt with velvet trim that I am coveting right now (preferably in grey if anyones interested in a Fall present idea)

    ReplyDelete